Vaginal health can be affected by various issues such as:
- Unprotected sex can lead to sexually transmitted infections
- Birth control products such as condoms and contraceptives can cause irritation and discomfort
- Feminine hygiene products such as douches can cause vaginal irritation
- Hormonal changes such as menopause
- Pregnancy and childbirth cause changes in the vagina
- Psychological issues such as low sex drive or trauma from sexual abuse
- Underlying medical issues such as vaginal cancer
- Poor hygiene
Various symptoms may indicate that the health of your vagina is compromised, such as pain, foul odor, itching, abnormal vaginal discharge, rashes, and bumps or lumps. You may also experience pain and discomfort during sexual intercourse or bleeding after sex and bleeding between your period.
If you are experiencing any of these unusual symptoms, it is essential to get immediate medical attention. Common vaginal issues include vaginitis, sexually transmitted infections (STDs), urinary tract infections (UTIs), or pelvic floor relaxation issues. Tests help identify the problem’s root cause. The tests include ultrasounds, vaginal discharge, and PH tests.
For optimal vaginal health, do the following:
- Avoid smoking/ alcohol and hydrate
- Use protection during sex to avoid UTIs and STDs
- Urinate before and after sex to flush out bacteria
- Wear 100% cotton underwear and avoid panty liner, thongs, and tight clothing
- Keep your vagina always clean, and do not douche since the vagina self-cleanses
- Get vaccinated, and do Kegel exercise to keep your pelvic floor strong.
- Avoid using feminine deodorants and sprays
- Bath or shower using mild unscented soap
Not all vaginal problems can be prevented. Therefore, it is essential to get frequent checkups to diagnose and prevent any medical issues. You can also do periodic self-examinations to ensure everything is okay.
Vaginal health is essential, so if you think something is wrong with your vagina, our specialists are here to help.
Schedule an appointment for a routine check-up or a variety vaginal treatment options.
Contact us today for more information on vaginal health.